We are grateful to our partners who provide wonderful experiences for our students by taking them on full day field trips outside of their urban environment.
Field Trip Ideas
Because bus and food costs can be high, we encourage field trips to low cost locations. The list provided here includes affordable trips that have been hosted in the past. A day spent taking a nature walk, visiting a zoo, splashing in a lake, building sandcastles, listening to steel drums, creating crafts or playing games is the perfect way for our kids to relax and unwind after a week of academics and enrichment.
Field trips generally run from 9:30 or 10:00 (depending on the distance from the B-SAFE site) until about 2:30 and include activities and lunch. For help planning a great day, do not hesitate to contact Betsy Walsh.
- Blue Hill Reservation (Milton)
- Hopkinton State Park (Hopkinton)
- Houghton’s Pond (Milton)
- Lake Cochituate (Natick)
- DeCordova Sculpture Park (Lincoln)
- Peabody Essex Museum (Salem)
- Plimoth Plantation (Plymouth)
- Drumlin Farm (Lincoln)
- Farrington Nature Linc (Lincoln)
- Weir River Farm (Hingham)
- Crane Beach (Ipswich)
- Harbor Islands (Boston)
- Nantasket Beach (Nantasket)
- Revere Beach (Revere)
- Stage Fort Park (Gloucester)
- Capron Park (Attleboro)
- Stone Zoo (Stoneham)
- Salem Willows Park (Salem)
- Carnival or field games and barbeque on the church grounds
- Specialists- Sometimes partners choose to bring in a specialist to lead an activity (e.g., naturalists- to lead hikes, or bring in animal demonstrations, or performers musicians, theater groups, etc.)
Rain and Heat Plans*
On occasion the forecast will require that we make alternative plans for a field trip day. We recommend that a rain or heat plan be made along with your other B-SAFE planning rather than at the last minute which can be very stressful. Look into available indoor resources long before they are needed. Some suggestions include:
- a movie or bowling,
- creating a fun day of activities (games, scavenger hunt, bingo, crafts, video, etc.) at your home church or other local indoor facility.